10 July, 2009

Right, Write




I miss writing.

I miss sitting in some dark little corner of a coffee shop and analyzing the world around me. I miss being inspired by things, and being critical of things.

So this afternoon I bought myself a little black Moleskin notebook and found one of my old unused sketchbooks. I bought a copy of John Berger's Ways of Seeing, set it on top of my BldgBlog book and sat down with these four things over a white americano.

I quickly found myself getting frustrated that I didn't already have something important to say. What, twenty minutes spent absorbing other people's thoughts isn't enough of an effort to make me a genius??! Gasp!

I must be patient with my brain and give it some time to stretch and warm up. It is very out of practice. So I will go to a different coffee shop tomorrow and try again. And another one the day after, until I have retrained my brain to focus, analyze, and produce vaguely intelligible sentences in response to all the life going on around me.

2 comments:

Carrie Clevenger said...

So good to see you carry on. I really want to see what you come up with. Do be sure to share tidbits of this new insight from time to time.

Anonymous said...

It is reserve, neither it is more, nor it is less