27 September, 2008

Alright

Let's say you're at work and you cross paths with someone you know, but neither of you wants to stop and chat. You might ask, "how's it going?" or "how're you?" and they will most likely say, "fine!" and keep walking.

In England, it seems that if I pass someone and ask, "how're you?" they will stop and answer honestly, starting a conversation. It seems to me that the British equivalent of "how's it going?" is "alright?"

I walked into a store I've been in before and the cashier smiled and said, "alright, then?" I nodded and smiled. And I've heard it on the street many times when I've bumped into someone vaguely familiar from the dorm I'm in. "Alright?" they ask, and keep walking.

I am so used to saying hello and "how's it going?" when I meet people that this is going to take some getting used to. Until I feel comfortable saying "alright" I will just have to accept that I'll be the cause of some confusion, as I ask how people are and then walk away without stopping to listen to their answers.

No comments: